What is Occupational Therapy?
Occupational therapy (OT) is the use of assessment and treatment to develop, recover, or maintain the daily living and work skills of people with a physical, mental, or cognitive disorder.
Occupational therapists are professionals who are able to assess a child’s skills for playing and learning, school performance, and daily activities and compare them with what is developmentally appropriate for that age group.
Occupational therapists working with children with special needs aim to improve their cognitive, physical, sensory & motor skills and enhance their self-esteem and sense of accomplishment by helping them to be as independent as possible in all areas of their lives.
Occupational therapists work with children with a variety of conditions, such as cerebral palsy, spina bifida, learning disabilities, mental and behavioural problems, burns, brain injuries, developmental delays, autism, and cancer. In therapy, occupational therapists work on a variety of skills, depending on the area of needs.
Here is a list of problems that a paediatric Occupational Therapist might address in the Therapy
- Poor playground skills (fear of climbing & jumping, low muscle tone, muscles weakness)
- Visual Perceptual problems
- Poor handwriting skill
- Poor fine-motor skills (grasping, buttoning, cutting, shoe-tying, utensil use)
- Poor gross motor skill ( throw & catch ball, skipping)
- Problems with eye-hand coordination
- Poor attention and focus
- Poor sensory processing
- Problems with listening
- Dependence with Daily living Skills (bathing, tooth-brushing, dressing, self-feeding
- Orthopaedic Injuries
- Poor in motor planning
- Poor memory and cognitive issue
- Poor self-esteem
What Therapy Alliance SG can do for you?
At Therapy Alliance Singapore, we provide you with these services for Special Needs Child who needs Occupational Therapy:
- Cognitive and Attention Exercises
- Teaching Age Appropriate Self-care Skill
- Gross & Fine Motor Development Training
- Handwriting Skills
- Functional ADL Assessment
- Visual-perceptual Assessment and Training
- Visual-motor Exercises
- Post Surgery and Injury Rehabilitation
- Sensory Integration
- Work Hardening Programme
- School Visit
Contact us for a no-obligation discussion with our Therapist to understand your situation and to offer advice on Occupational Therapy or more. We respect your privacy, all information shared will be kept confidential.