Overview of Treatment for ADHD
Currently available treatments focus on reducing the symptoms of ADHD and improving functioning. Treatments include medication, various types of psychotherapy, education or training, or a combination of treatments.
Treatments can relieve many of the disorder’s symptoms, but there is no cure. With treatment, most people with ADHD can be successful in school and lead productive lives.
Researchers are developing more effective treatments and interventions and using new tools such as brain imaging, to better understand ADHD and to find more effective ways to treat and prevent it.
- Education about ADHD
- Behavioral intervention
- Social skills training
- Occupational therapy
- Pharmacological treatment
- Digital Therapeutics
TIPS for parenting children with ADHD
1. Developing Relationships
Not all children with ADHD have trouble getting along with others. If your child does, however, you can take steps to help improve his or her social skills and relationships. The earlier your child’s difficulties with peers are addressed, the more successful such steps can be. It is helpful for you to:
- Recognize the importance of healthy peer relationships for children
- Involve your child in activities with his or her peers
- Set up social behavior goals with your child and implement a reward program
- Encourage social interactions if your child is withdrawn or excessively shy
- Schedule play activities with only one other child at a time
- Supervise play activities as your child practices social skills
2. Stay on a schedule.
Your child will function best if he has the same routine every day, from wake-up to bedtime. Be sure to include homework and playtime in the schedule.
3. Doing Homework
You can help your child with ADHD achieve academic success by taking steps to improve the quality of your child’s homework. You can do this by making sure your child is:
- Seated in a quiet area without clutter or distractions.
- Given clear, concise instructions.
- Encouraged to write each assignment in a notebook as it is given by the teacher.
Therapy Alliance has a dynamic & experienced team of specialists and therapists who had helped many children with ADHD symptoms, contact or drop us an email to discuss your child’s condition and they will offer their best advice and next steps.